11.9.10

Welcome to the Land of Postcards

I'm glad I don't have a camera. 
Photos never do it justice. 
A photo can't capture the smell of salty sea air, the rumbling waves crashing against a cliffside, the seagulls floating above my head like fish in a current, and the sudden bursts of sunlight through the clouds.
A photo will never help me remember what it felt like to be on top of the world, to have noise all around and feel so quiet on the inside. 
I like to live in the moment.
Hiding behind a camera just isn't my style. Why should I be worrying about apertures and shutter speeds when I have a perfectly vivid memory to keep images in?
This is why I love painting. You can take a memory or an idea and translate it onto a canvas. No one but me would know the meaning of every decision that went into that artwork.  No one but me can show the emotions and the meanings behind what I'm doing. No one but me can see into my head. You can take pictures of beautiful things, but chances are another score of photographers have beat you to it. 

Open up your mind, and you'll find new worlds. 
                   --Some famous person. Maybe. I don't know it just sounded like a quote.

2 comments:

  1. No need for a camera. Your words do it all. I can see it, feel it and smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil Ward, our art teacher, said something similar about hiding behind a camera while we were in Ireland. It was really funny, 'cause there was one guy in our group who just ignored it and never saw beyond his camera lens. It was kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete