22.9.10

They Ask Me, What Is Reality?

    When I examine myself to answer this question; I find many answers. There is a reality that I believe is based upon the senses. The common phrase runs through my head “what you see is what you know”. I believe that what is real is what we can detect with our prime senses: sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell. Every human being owes most if not all of their understanding of reality to their senses. They are our gateway to the world around us, they are the portals through which reality enters and takes its form in our comprehension. 
    However, I do not personally think that reality stops here.  There is a reality that resides largely outside of our five senses. It is a reality of an unseen world, I have most often heard it called The Spiritual Realm. Now this title can mean several different things, but for me it is a world where there exist angels, demons, a divine and omnipotent God, a fallen angel called Satan, and perhaps even spirits of humans who no longer live in their earthly bodies. 
    I believe the Spiritual Realm can be anywhere and everywhere on this earth, and I believe that it extends beyond earth into the heavens and farther away than we humans could or ever will comprehend. I also believe in the human soul as a separate entity from the human body. The body may age and fade away with every other organic material on this earth, but the soul is a mysterious and spiritual being that resides inside a body and only leaves the body when the body can no longer house it. A soul is what makes me, well, me. It is not something I can see, though many people believe it to be visible in the eyes. “The eyes are the window to the soul”. It is a common phrase that I believe to possibly be true. When a person is dead, their eyes look obviously different. Perhaps the eyes are the only hint we have at the depth of our own selves. Perhaps it is in the eyes that we may glimpse an almost completely hidden spiritual world. Ironic much?
    I believe that reality is in two parts, it is a world that I have around me that I can perceive through my human senses and it is a world beyond the ordinary senses that I cannot prove. I could further this thought by saying that reality is what a person believes to be real. But I don’t believe that. And now I’m thinking myself into confusion.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm too tired to tackle this one. Sounds like philosophy is a blast, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to give you a book about all of this written by a Chinese man, Watchman Nee.

    ReplyDelete