5.4.11

I Thank You God For Most This Amazing


















i thank You God for most this amazing

day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

-e.e. cummings

A friend recommended this poem to me, and I've read it several times in the days preceding this one. Today is my birthday, I am 21. I don't feel any older or wiser, and I'm beginning to finally understand that I probably never will. Life is still confusing, people still are selfish. Hurt people will hurt people- compassion should be (but still isn't) our priority and strength. 
This may sound depressingly pessimistic for a birthday post, but for me it isn't. Understanding human nature and that life is hard only puts a stronger contrast to how beautiful the good things in life really are. When I realize how little I deserve, I am so much more thankful and optimistic about my situation. 
So, I thank you God for this most amazing day. I am 21, healthy, happy, blessed, and life hasn't finished with me yet.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    You are insightful, creative, unique, and eloquent. That's quite a lot all wrapped up in one. Glad you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Kate.

    I hope your next year is wonderful, and is also full of learning, growing, and creating.

    ReplyDelete