5.11.10



   A name will define you for your entire life. 

At the moment of birth, you are stamped with your parents idea of what you should become. 
Three stamps. First, middle, and last. 
And you will spend your life being defined by what that name is or isn't. 
My name is common; I don't ever have to spell it to a Starbucks barista. But I do have to share it with the psychotic mother of the reverse mullet and eight half-asian children. 
   Kate is it to you, but what is it?
Two sharp consonants, one syllable. A shorter, modern version of Katherine.
Several possible origins, one being a Greek goddess (Hecate), one the Greek word for Pure, and one the word for torture.. 
Pure Goddess Torture? 
oh my.

What would I be like if my name were Anne, Emma, or Rose?
I don't really want an answer. I don't think there is a good one. 
This is just me thinking.

3 comments:

  1. London, which I always feel like I pronounce wrong when introducing myself for the first time, means "fortress/castle on the moon." Put that in your pipe and smoke it, 'cause it always seemed like the most abstract meaning possible.

    Grant comes from the Latin word for "entrust." I like that.

    Smith is the most common name in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was almost Aubrey Ann. What would you have been then? Katie Dee is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my name (translated) was going to be Michael Louis Lacayo.
    And since i was so close to die my dad wanted me to take his name to the grave.... Alvaro was born!!!!

    ReplyDelete